Body of Missing Kayaker Found | News
SOUTH VALLEY, NY - The search for a missing kayaker has ended.
Cattaraugus County Sheriff Tim Whitcomb says the victim went missing Sunday afternoon while kayaking on the Allegany River and has now been found five days later.
The victim was with a friend when his kayak started to take on water and eventually sank.
The two men tried to swim to shore. At one point, the victim grew tired and started to panic, slipping under the water. His friend went under twice to try to grab hold of him, but could not. The friend then swam to shore to get help.
State Police dive teams found the man's body Friday morning just past the Pennsylvania State Line.
Top Southern Tier Stories
Upcoming Events near Southern Tier
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Erie County Fair Free Concert - Three Dog Night, August 10th
- Hamburg School District Votes to Continue Chasing Blogger
- Erie County Fair Announces Another FREE Concert - Sawyer Brown, August 8th
- Early Entry Deadline Is Friday For WNY Hog Preview Classic at The Fairgrounds
- Town of Hamburg Identity Theft Protection Day