Body of Missing Kayaker Found | News
SOUTH VALLEY, NY - The search for a missing kayaker has ended.
Cattaraugus County Sheriff Tim Whitcomb says the victim went missing Sunday afternoon while kayaking on the Allegany River and has now been found five days later.
The victim was with a friend when his kayak started to take on water and eventually sank.
The two men tried to swim to shore. At one point, the victim grew tired and started to panic, slipping under the water. His friend went under twice to try to grab hold of him, but could not. The friend then swam to shore to get help.
State Police dive teams found the man's body Friday morning just past the Pennsylvania State Line.
Upcoming Events near Southern Tier
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- South Buffalo Charter School Unveils New $21 Million Building
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.
- DEC says Buffalo company 'creating significant dust'