Man Charged with Using a Gun to Menace Sheriff Deputy | News
ELLERY, N.Y. - A Bemus Point man has been arrested and charged with Menacing after the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office says he waved a gun around while yelling obscenities at a Sheriff Deputy.
Around 12:33 a.m. Saturday, Deputies were questioning a North Carolina man in a driveway in the town of Ellery for speeding and Driving While Intoxicated. The passenger of the vehicle, Brett J. Steffen, 29, of Bemus Point, went inside the home to use the restroom.
When Steffen came out of the house, he was reportedly holding a hand gun and yelling obscenities at a Sheriff Deputy. Steffen was placed into custody after being held at gun point for several minutes before other Deputies arrived.
Steffen is being charged with Menacing a Police Officer and will appear in the town of Ellery Court.
Upcoming Events near Southern Tier
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public
- World-renowned AIDS researcher among victims of downed Malaysian flight