I-86 Reopened After Deadly Early Morning Crash | News
SHERMAN, NY - A 15-mile stretch of the Southern Tier Expressway in Chautauqua County is back open after a deadly crash early Thursday morning.
Deputies believe icy roads and unsafe speed are to blame in the accident that killed a truck driver.
It happened around 3 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 86 in the town of Mina, near exit 6 (Sherman).
According to the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Department, a tractor trailer was stopped in the right, eastbound lane due to another vehicle that had jack knifed ahead.
The driver of a box truck, Milton Frank Pertl, 63, of Pennsylvania, was killed after crashing into the back of the stopped tractor trailer.
Witnesses told police the driver of the box truck was driving too fast for the icy road conditions.
Interstate-86 in both directions was reopened around 8 a.m.
Upcoming Events near Southern Tier
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.
- DEC says Buffalo company 'creating significant dust'
- No Frills Buffalo Releases Book by New Author