DUNKIRK, NY - A family in Dunkirk, including a seven-month-old baby, was forced to jump from the second story of their burning home Friday.
The blaze broke out early in the morning on King Street.
Dunkirk Fire Chief Michael Edwards said, "The occupants (who) were still in the building had the baby and ended up dropping the baby down to another occupant (who) had already jumped."
Five of those family members who jumped were hurt and were taken to Brooks Memorial Hospital. Two of them were admitted there. One was admitted to Hammot Memorial Hospital in Pennsylvania.
A firefighter was also injured battling the fire. He was treated for smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion.
Fire investigators determined that the fire originated in the front stairwell that leads to the upper unit. Flames and thick smoke meant the second-story windows were the only way out.